How to Prevent Fungi in Tennessee
From mold to wood decay, many types of fungi may try to grow in your home. With every fungus comes not-so-fun consequences, such as allergies, asthma, and damage to your home. Discover how to prevent fungi in your home with these tips from U.S Pest Protection.
All forms of fungi feed on moisture, whether it’s mildew on your damp towels or brown rot on your waterlogged roof. To prevent fungi, it’s crucial to keep your home as dry as possible. The higher your humidity, the more moisture there will be in the air.
Once fungi spores interact with even the tiniest droplet of water in the air, it won’t be long before it starts to develop. Stop fungi infestations before they start by maintaining a low humidity in your home. Use the following methods to prevent a dry, fungi-proof living environment:
- Using a dehumidifier in your basement
- Turning your fans on after a shower
- Getting rid of water-damaged belongings
- Cleaning out your gutters to prevent clogging
Fix Leaks and Insulate Your HVAC
While cleaning out gutters and using a dehumidifier are excellent ways of lowering the humidity in your home, other sources of moisture are less obvious; leaking pipes and dripping HVAC ducts are easy targets for fungi.
Check under your sinks and in your basement for pools of water underneath pipes or drips. If you find evidence of leaks, be sure to seal the pipes or bring in a professional. If you notice that your HVAC ducts are dripping, it may be time for new insulation. Contact U.S. Pest Protection for pipework and HVAC moisture solutions.
Clean Your Home with Fungi-Killing Products
In addition to keeping your home dry, it’s important to clean it with the right products. Kill any potential fungal spores growing in your home with the following products:
- Chlorine bleach: Quickly kills fungi but is highly toxic. Dilute with water and never combine with ammonia.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Less toxic than chlorine bleach but takes more time to kill fungi. May stain clothes, tiles, and other materials.
- Distilled white vinegar: Non-toxic but requires more scrubbing to get rid of fungi.
- Baking soda and borax: Non-toxic and kills fungi but may not remove stains.
You can either use these products as cleaners or apply them to fungi-infected spots for 15 minutes to kill the spores. Don’t forget that bleach and hydrogen peroxide may stain colored tiles if you use them in your bathroom.
Schedule Your Free Fungi Inspection with U.S. Pest Protection
Do-it-yourself solutions often help prevent fungi infestations, but it takes professionals to safeguard your home completely. At U.S. Pest Protection, we believe the first step of protection should always be prevention. We offer effective fungi prevention solutions to help you shield your home and family. Schedule your free inspection today!
Ask about a FREE inspection for your home or business today. A complimentary estimate will be provided by one of our U.S. Pest professionals.