Pest Identification: Stink Bugs in Tennessee
The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB)—simply referred to as a “stink bug”—is a shield-shaped insect with a marble-like exterior that is the most common type of stink bug in Tennessee. This pest is named for its foul smell after being crushed, disturbed, or killed.
Stink bugs can take your space by storm, especially as the weather warms up and they emerge from one of their go-to hibernation destinations: inside of your walls. Luckily, you don’t have to worry about handling stink bugs on your own. Schedule a pest control inspection with U.S. Pest Protection for help managing these invaders ASAP.
How to Identify Stink Bugs
Physical characteristics of stink bugs include:
- 1/2 to 3/4 inch long
- 6 legs
- Pair of antennae
- Wings with flying ability
- Body width almost proportional to length
- Brown in color on top, gray-brown underneath, and white bands on antennae and sides of abdomen
How to Prevent Stink Bugs
Stink bugs in Tennessee are nuisance pests that feed on plants, fruits, and nuts. They are also attracted to light and warmth, particularly when the weather becomes colder.
To prevent and get rid of stink bugs, you can:
- Install fine mesh over air vents, and repair any torn window screens.
- Place sticky traps near baseboards, windowsills, and entryways.
- Rub dryer sheets, spread mint essential oil, or use other odor deterrents around stink bug entry points.
- Suck them up as you see them using a vacuum cleaner with a disposable bag.
- Spray or drown them with a solution of soapy water and white vinegar.
- Bring in the pest control professionals for comprehensive solutions.
Eliminate Stink Bugs at Home with a Pest Control Plan
Even if stink bugs won’t harm you, they can certainly startle you by flying around your space and releasing unpleasant odors. U.S. Pest Protection can provide you with routine pest control strategies to keep your property protected against stink bugs and other insects in Tennessee. Whether you’re looking for monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly services, we’re here to help with pest control plans designed for your situation. Schedule your free inspection today.
Our Approach to Pest Control & Prevention
At U.S. Pest Protection, we protect what matters most. That could be your family, your home, your business, your pets - anything. Our professionals are trained and certified pest control technicians that have the knowledge & experience to protect what matters most for our customers. Ask about a FREE inspection today.