Black Carpet Beetles
The Black Carpet Beetle can be anywhere from 2.5 – 5mm long – and, true to its name, it is usually black (although sometimes they can be a reddish-brown color). This oval-shaped beetle can eat anything produced by an animal, including leather, silk, feathers, insect carcasses and dried plant material.
Black Carpet Beetles LOVE flowers so you will most often see them in the spring and summer months. When they aren’t outside enjoying the new blooms, they can get in your home and be quite a nuisance.
You don’t want any of your clothes or furniture to be ruined with ugly holes from these pests – so make sure that you keep Black Carpet Beetles out of your home with the help of a U.S. Pest Professional.
WHAT DO THEY LOOK LIKE?
- Adults are dark brown to black in color, oval in shape and twice as long as wide.
- Range in size from 2.5 – 5 mm
- Larva is light brown to dark brown in color and may be ½ inch long.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
- The black carpet beetle is the most widespread and destructive carpet beetle in the United States.
- They are numerous during the spring and early summer months.
- Larval stage is destructive to fabrics and plant materials. Damage often results in a number of small, unevenly spaced holes.
- Larvae roam widely and move slowly, normally searching for food in dark areas of a room, shunning sunlight. When disturbed, they curl up and play dead.
- Newly emerged adults are attracted to light.
- Adult Black Carpet Beetles feed on pollen.
- After mating, many of the females return indoors to lay eggs.
- Approximately 50 eggs are laid in accumulations of lint, or in a place where larval food supply is present.
Our Approach to Pest Control & Prevention
At U.S. Pest Protection, we protect what matters most. That could be your family, your home, your business, your pets - anything. Our professionals are trained and certified pest control technicians that have the knowledge & experience to protect what matters most for our customers. Ask about a FREE inspection today.