Interesting facts about moisture control and pests in Tennessee is something all homeowners should brush up on periodically. See below of truths and interesting facts about U.S. Pest Protection, Termites, Ants, Cockroaches, Mosquitoes, Ticks, Moisture, & more!
FACTS ABOUT U.S. PEST
First of all, U.S. Pest is #1 in Tennessee for a reason. Out of 20,000 companies in America, we are in the top 100 in the world. U.S. Pest and our people who protect you are on a mission to protect what matters most. You have our full attention from the moment you call to the day you move, we are with you.
In addition, over 50,000 people are protected by U.S. Pest in Tennessee. Furthermore, over 20,000 homes are protected from wood destroying insects and fungus. We are experts in our field and set the standard for the trade of pest control. To add, our employees are drug tested, have a clean driving record and have a clean and investigated background check before they ever step foot in U.S. Pest let alone allowed in or around your home.
Finally, we have licenses and certifications and house one of only two entomologists in the state that have his credentials. Furthermore, U.S. Pest has created pathways revolutionizing how pest control is done through strategic partnerships with beekeepers.
- Did you know most homes are being eaten by termites? But they aren’t visible with an inspection. That’s why it is so important to get your home treated.
- Termites NEVER sleep, they eat wood 24 hours a day
- Termites are blind and can’t smell anything
- Soldier Termites bang their heads against the colony walls when there is a threat
- Tennessee only has the Eastern Subterranean Termite to worry, out of 2,700 different species
- There is a brand new termite discovered in Florida, hybrid between two species
- Termite colonize under your home in the ground
- We offer the only 100% money back guarantee on our termite treatments
- Every acre in Tennessee has approximately 15 colonies of termites
- One colony can exist for up to 20 years underground
- Termites live up to 20 feet underground, coming to the top to eat dead wood, your house
- Termites can build satellite colonies in your walls and upper levels of your home
- U.S. Pest picks up your house and sets it back down on top of a liquid barrier
- Our liquid barrier is America’s #1 defense system
- May have a preference for beer drinkers
- Male mosquitoes don’t bite
- Mosquitos are attracted to the carbon dioxide, lactic acid, and octanol in our breath and sweat
- Mosquitoes carry diseases such as malaria and yellow fever, but in Tennessee, it’s the West Nile virus and dog heartworm we protect you from
- Mosquitoes lay their eggs in body’s of water and waterlogged soil
- Our mosquito treatments also control ticks
- Ticks can’t fly or jump
- When ticks bite you, they attach themselves with a cement-like substance
- Ticks carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Ticks can carry up to 3 different diseases at one time
- If a tick is removed before 24 hours, the chances of disease transmission are low
- You can’t suffocate a tick, so don’t try
- Ticks can live over 200 days without food or water
- Our Tick treatments also control mosquitos and fleas
- Tick-borne diseases are getting worse, not better
- Roaches walked the earth with dinosaurs
- The German, Oriental and brown banded cockroach is usually the only type that invades your home.
- Cockroaches can live without their heads — but will eventually die because it can’t drink water.
- Roaches will eat anything… literally from dead skin to dirty diaper feces to bananas and just crumbs or even unnoticed grease
- Some roaches can live up to 30 minutes underwater
- Roaches can be a trigger for asthma
- Fire ants are in Williamson county but not in Sumner County, they are coming up from Alabama and southern states.
- Different types of ants prefer different types of food such as proteins and sugars
- Our treatment methods are based on the type of ant and what they prefer on the menu
- If you split a pharaoh ant colony by treating it incorrectly it will just double in size
- Carpenter Ants are usually a sign of a moisture problem
- Some ants bite and some ants sting
ENCAPSULATION AND CRAWLSPACE MOISTURE FACTS
- The moldy musty smell in your home can come from under your crawl space
- Fungus left untreated can cause breathing problems and structural damage
- Sometimes cricket poop is misidentified as fungus
- U.S. Pest uses a moisture meter or hydrometer to measure the moisture in the wood under your home
- If your crawlspace has a moisture level of 20% or more, active fungus can grow
- We monitor all of our customer’s homes and protected crawl spaces for moisture issues
- Poor drainage, plumbing leaks, and heavy rains can cause threats to your crawlspace condition.
- The U.S. Pest crawlspace encapsulation inspection is 100% no cost, for you to find out what we can do to help
- Some people want their crawlspace encapsulated for health reasons, others to protect their home and some to prevent any unwanted issues.