Interesting facts about mice – The cold weather is quickly approaching and this means pests will need to find a warm place to stay over winter. Unfortunately, your home may be the closest warm shelter you have. Pests such as mice are notorious for sneaking into homes during the colder months to seek warmer shelter. Even though these furry rodents may be cute they bring along with them a slew of diseases. Mice can also make a huge mess in any kitchen by getting into food storage and contaminating food with their fecal matter. Before we go into the solutions and procedures on how to get rid of these vermin, here are 7 interesting facts about mice.
7 Interesting facts about Mice!
1. Mice eat between 15 and 20 times a day.
- Mice are omnivorous but prefer to consume grains, fruits, and seeds. As mentioned before, they can create a lot of damage if left inside the home. To no surprise, mice are attracted to carbohydrates. This would be one of the reasons why they enjoy cheese so much.
2. A house mouse produces between 40 and 100 droppings per day.
- This may seem like a lot because it is a lot! Mice poop a lot! This is because they are constantly eating and when they need to go, they go. Mice droppings are one of the first indications that mice are in the home.
3. Mice are good jumpers, climbers, and swimmers.
- What many people may not know is that mice are athletic. Having all these amazing talents is another reason it is so easy for them to sneak into homes.
4. Mice can live in a lab for up to two years, but usually only live for about 5 months in the wild, mostly because of predators, such as cats, snakes, and foxes.
- Mice can live even longer if undetected inside your home!
5. Mice have weak eyesight.
- Even though their eyesight isn’t the best they have excellent hearing. This ability allows them to escape detection from predators.
6. Mice teeth never stop growing.
- A common scene in a lot of cartoons is mice with big teeth. This so happens to be the case in real life because the teeth on mice never stop growing!
7. Mice have supersonic hearing.
- Without good eyesight, mice rely heavily on their ability to hear. Without it, they would be much easier to catch for predators.
Have Mice issues? U.S. Pest can help!
If you are having a problem with mice inside your residence, make sure to call the most relied-on pest control company in Middle Tennessee, U.S. Pest! Mice can become a real nuisance in a hurry and without a professional pest technician, they are difficult to get rid of. Call 615-822-8500 or visit uspest.com today and we can help rid you of all your mice problems!
Don’t forget to also follow us on Facebook at U.S. Pest!