Field Ants look like Carpenter Ants.
Field Ants are found in small mounds in the middle of large fields, patio blocks, firewood piles and vacant lots. These pests can be brown, yellow or reddish colored and won’t grow much bigger than 3/8 inch long.
Field ants shouldn’t be too much of a problem in your home because they typically stay outside. However, their mounds can be ugly and can get in the way of common backyard activities. A U.S. Pest Professional can help you control these ants.
Be careful near these ants, they can bite! They can also spray a special acid when they bite, which can also hurt. However, they don’t sting or carry any diseases, so no need to totally panic.
What do they look like?
- Very similar in appearance to Carpenter Ants.
- Usually about 3/8 inch long.
- Brown to dark brown, yellow and reddish.
What else do I need to know?
- Mounds can grow up to 8-10 inches.
- You will find field ants on lawns, under rocks, patio blocks, landscape timber firewood piles and vacant lots.